Sunday, June 28, 2009

Scariest day of my life...

How do I even begin to tell you what happened Saturday. I figured I would just write something about it because I have told this story around 15 times in the last 24hrs to doctors, emts, family and friends... Sophie has been sick with diarrhea and vomited 3 times since wed. I kept calling the doctors to see if I should bring her in or if it was just a stomach bug. They told me to keep her hydrated and watch her temperature so that's what I did. I got pedialyte and took her temperature like 20 times an hr i swear.... I'm paranoid about fevers. She hasn't had much of an appetite because her belly didn't feel good so she hasn't been eating very much since wed. Saturday I went to Red Robin for my sister's daughter's bday party. Sophie was feeling ok and hadn't thrown up so I'm thinking she's feeling better. She was acting just fine going over there and before. When we got to the restaurant she had a blow out...(sorry dad for her getting it on your white shirt sleeve :) after that she was very whiny and attached which she never is unless she doesn't feel good. I figured her belly hurt so I just carried her and cuddled her and made her feel comfortable... she was acting very loopy and kinda light headed cause she keep bopping her head on my shoulder, which again, she never does. after an hr or so of her trying to go to sleep on me I decided since we were almost leaving to take her out to the truck and sit in there with the AC and maybe she'd fall asleep in the car seat. when I went to put her in her whole body froze. I can't even explain how i felt. she went completely stiff and was unresponsive. her eyes were not rolled into her head but she just wasn't there. she was gone. her whole body was tensing up she was having a seizure (it was later concluded). I'm freaking out and I'm by myself (Derek was working) and I see a guy walking by and while holding Sophie in my arms I yell at him to call 911. after several tries and busy signals he got through. ya... 911 was busy. I had put Sophie down on the ground and by now she stopped tensing up and went limp. like she was sleeping. I thought I had lost my little girl. my heart hurt so bad that i could not stop shaking. I kept calling out to her to come back to mommy and she was just laying there. by this time I'm screaming and crying hysterically. it was then when she woke up a little bit and gave out a little cry and slobbered some and we put her on her side. I got a lady to go get the rest of my family from inside and they all came running out to help. luckily my brother in law Adam (Paula's husband) was there. He is a nurse. he hept Sophie safe and was making sure that she was breathing and that her heart was still beating. I was holding onto Paula and my dad and felt helpless. when the ambulance arrived we took her to the hospital which luckily it was only about a minute away and took her into the ER. she was exhausted. when they starting poking her to get an IV in she woke up and started screaming. I have never been so happy to hear Sophie cry and fight people. The ER staff was not equipped for a baby so they tried poking her 10 times (2 times in her feet, 4 times in her arms, 2 times in her hands and 2 times in her head) to get an IV in. She was stable but her glucose level was low and she seemed dehydrated which came from her sickness. After a Cat scan to make sure nothing was wrong with her brain and numerous tests the doctor said we would take her up to Primary children's to get an IV in her and take a better look. She loved the ambulance ride. she was doing so much better and being responsive and after taking a nap on daddy ( which Derek enjoyed since she never EVER sleeps on us). She was laughing and yelling "weeeeeee!" on the ride up there. what an amazing hospital primary's is. I knew she was in better hands. they did a heart test to make sure her heart was ok and it was. everything looked good. all test came back good or negative for bad things... the doctor here said that maybe the combination of being sick and dehydrated and everything just reached her seizing point and she seized. We stayed overnight to make sure it didn't happen again and to hydrate her since the IV team in this hospital got it in the first try. she is doing MUCH better today. she still had diarrhea but hasn't vomited in 2 days and she is eating a little better and drinking just fine. we came home and I'm sure Sophie is going to sleep for the next 2 days straight. no wait. its Sophie. she'll wake up in a few mins. I have never experienced anything like this. holding your child thinking she was going to die and thinking you were going to loose her forever. my family was amazing. both sides. I could not ask for a better family. everyone came rushing to our aid and to see Sophie. and either called or came. I love them all so much and I want them to know how much we appreciate everything they do for us. specially yesterday. We hope to never have to go through that again and that the image of Sophie's face frozen and stiff will leave my mind soon. I cannot stop seeing it every time I close my eyes. I know Heavenly father made everything to happen the way it needed to... from Derek's co worker to just happen to drop by on his day off right when we call him therefore making it possible for Derek to come to the hospital right away and leave his co worker to close up the plant, to me being at the party instead of home alone and farther from the hospital, to my brother in law being there to help keep Sophie safe, to my dad's baptism he had to go do being cancelled 10 mins before, therefore us being able to stay at the party longer and not having this episode on the freeway to me being with everyone in my family when I needed them the most. I love my family so much and my baby so much. I don't know what I would do with any of them. Derek makes me feel safe and strong. and i know that why Heavenly father sent me to him. Sophie playing and watching Dora in her hospital crib. that hospital sure was equipped for her.

11 comments:

Jackson Family said...

oh my goodness! I am so sorry that is the most horrible thing ever! I cant imagine how you felt! we love you let us know if you need anything!

Mandy said...

I was in tears reading your experience. I can't even imagine how that would of been for you guys. Poor little Sophie girl. I'm SO glad everything is ok.

Jenny said...

Umm tears doesn't even explain it Mandy! I guess its the new mother hormones but i'm bawling! I'm so glad she is safe now. I can't even imagine what I would do if that happened!

Kelly Hill said...

Oh Cake - I'm so sorry. Erica told me you were at the hospital and my heart just sunk. I'm so grateful that everything is okay. Please let me know if there's ever anything I can do. I'm sure she'll be just fine. Our Father in Heaven sure is aware of us and everything we need.... it's wonderful that you recognize His hand in all of this. Take care!!

Unknown said...

That was not fun to see at all. Glad she's doing better. I'm glad we were all there to support. She's one tough cookie.

Kristen Miner said...

May peace and comfort be with you. Your strength and faith is a great example to me. Thank you for sharing this experience, even though it might have been hard to share. Your trust and love for the Lord is influential.

Katie said...

I'm so glad that Sophie is okay and safe! I hope she keeps getting better and that you never have to go through anything like that again. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I always love to look back at experiences and see the tiny things that the Lord did to help us in our times of need. It's amazing how closely He pays attention to our lives.

LeslieK said...

Maybe it's just the hormones, but I'm just bawling right now!! The same thing happened to a friend of mine..fever, and then a seizure. SO scary, I cannot imagine that I would be as level headed as you seemed to be! Give Sophie a BIG hug from us!!

natalie a said...

We are all just so glad little Sophie is home and doing better! We were so worried....the boys were so cute, they prayed for her both nights! We love you guys and can't wait to all play together again soon!

Paula-Adam said...

I'm so glad Sophie is herself again. That was just way too scary

Monica said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are doing ok!